Monday, June 1, 2009

Free Face Lift!

We live in a country that is obsessed with looks. Everyone I know is on a diet, using tanning lotions or tanning beds. A friend of mine reminds me that tan fat looks better than white fat.

Each morning when I face the mirror, I see that the gift of aging comes with the gift of lines and wrinkles. Fortunately, my eyes are not as good as they use to be, so I cannot see how deep the lines really have become.

Before I had cancer I was caught up in the quest to "look young." As I walked through cancer I could only be concerned about putting one foot in front of the other. I began to make sure I had shared everything wanted to share with my boys. I wanted to finish the task the Lord has given me with grace and victory. Seeing my bald head in the mirror caused me to realize each day was a gift and my focus needed to change.

No one wants to look older than they really are, yet most of us are not satisfied looking our age either. Where should we as christian women fit in our society of "forever young" women? Is it wrong to care about wrinkles?

This morning I was reading in Luke and it reminded me of a passage in Exodus 34:29b-30a. "...Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone while he talked with Him. So when all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone,..."

Being in the presence of the Lord caused the face of Moses to shine - not makeup, not creams, but spending time with His God. Then I went back to the passage I was reading in Luke 9:29 "As He prayed the appearance of His face was altered, and His robe became white and glistening."

Sweet sisters, if we will spend as much time in God's Word and in His presence as we do in front of the mirror, I believe people will begin to see Him and not our wrinkles and flaws. The price is right and the results are guaranteed!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Karen . . .
This is SO true . . . I know a few "sisters" who always seem to glow with the presence of the Lord . . . I know what you did when I met you! :)