Monday, June 15, 2009

When God Says "Not Now"



After months of preparation for a mission trip to Brazil due to leave June 4th, my husband finally had to make the decision to reschedule for July. The problem was not due to lack of preparation, money, people, etc. It was due to the powers that be not processing our visas on time. From there all other connections and schedules fell apart. I can honestly tell that stress and frustration has been high in our family due to this conflict. While I munched on my favorite stress relief, chocolate, my big question was “Why God?”

After a week of wedding events prior to our scheduled Brazil date, the stress of returning home and having basically three days to get everything in line to fly out of the country made for some sleepless nights. In the three days leading up to our team leaving, everyday brought a new set of problems. Over and over my husband was promised by the government that our visas were being processed, however, in truth, we finally discovered late on Wednesday they had not. Apparently, God was not ready for our team to go to Brazil.

So what do you do when God says “not now?” My first reaction is disappointment followed by confusion. After the prayers and preparation put into this trip, I believe we were as ready as can be. I felt we had a wonderful team going. They were excited. Some individuals had even agreed to learn the fine art of clowning in order to win children. Each of us was willing to do whatever it took to share Jesus. So why did God say “not now?”

I do not have an answer to that question even today. Maybe when our rescheduled trip takes place in July, we will see the answer. Of course, God may choose not to reveal the answer until eternity. I know that God has firmly said “No” or “Wait” to many prayers I have sent up to Him regarding something I desired to do. When I was obedient, I caught a glimpse of why God answered the way He did.

So girlfriends, even we gals in the ministry face times when God says “Not Now.” Just as the song says “Thank God for unanswered prayers,” we have to trust our Father that He does know what is best for us and that He is in control of things.




No comments: