Monday, February 8, 2010

Pulling Weight . . .

It wasn't long ago I witnessed a scene that made me cringe. I listened to a sister pastor's wife ask for a favor simply because she was a pastor's wife. Some of you may be thinking "Wow, a favor for pastor's wives, where do I sign up?" But it was not that kind of favor. She wanted a special allowance to be granted to her, that everyone else who had missed the deadline would be left out of.

This is the same pastor's wife that I have heard complain of the double standard she feels she is judged by and bemoan the scrutiny that her kids face because their daddy is the preacher.

Ladies, we can't have it both ways! My dear sister had just furthered the stereotype that we are all under. Personally, I want to be seen and treated like every other wife and mother in the church. I do not want my girls singled out or labeled by what their daddy does. As a result, you won't hear me call them "P.K.s" or expect special treatment once a deadline is passed.

Everyone lives busy lives. We are all accountable to our Christian brothers and sisters. Let's not heap insult to injury by playing political games within our churches and associations. People are watching, as pastor's wives we know that all too well. It may seem innocent, but there is a lot more on the line here.

Please be careful what you say and how you say it. Check your motivation. Be sure you aren't doing more harm than good. And if you see me blur this line, please let me know.

What do you think? Am I wrong to think we should never use our position as pastor's wives for our advantage? Is there a time when it would be alright?

Thanks for letting me vent a little . . . I will definitely be more upbeat in my next post!


No comments: