Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blessing Part Three-"The Real Deal"

I have stated earlier this week I have felt God leading me to write a blessing for my two staff wives. In blessing them, I have the opportunity to tell them things about them I admire plus thank them for their ministry. Today I would like to share with you about our youth minister’s wife, Angie Millard.

Angie and her husband came to us about two years ago. They came in when our youth ministry was struggling to hang on. This sweet couple could have easily stayed where their ministry was growing both spiritually and in numbers, however, they followed God’s call to come serve here. Although Philip is the youth minister, Angie works right along side of him. She is his support and encourager. She allows their home to be used as a gathering place. I just love to see a minister and his wife working as a team. Having been a minister’s wife for 30 plus years, I have seen my share of wives who do not support their husband call.

Angie is also a mentor to our teen girls. Having been a high school counselor, Angie brings her talents to the church and allows God to use her to touch a young girl’s life. I love the fact that Angie encourages the girls to be their best and to follow what the Lord’s plan is for their lives. Like Susan, Angie is not one to be out in front of the crowd. Instead, she serves quietly but strongly.

In addition to her service at church, Angie is the mother of Jeremiah who is truly a gift from God. Angie and Philip adopted Jeremiah from Guatemala and they are awesome parents. Watching Angie with her little one touches my heart. Not only does she pour her life into the teenagers at our church but Angie’s dedication to her son is amazing. This couple is teaching their son the ways of the Lord. For example, just the other day Jeremiah, with Angie’s help, traced his little hands on paper to create a Valentine for us. Where his thumb and fingers touched on each hand a small heart was seen. Jeremiah colored the heart and Angie added a verse to the card for him. What a teachable moment.

When I asked Angie to share her favorite bible verse, she replied Jeremiah 29:11-13 which says “’For I know the plans I have for you’”, says the Lord, “’plans for welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and hope. You will call to Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.’” She explained that Jeremiah is named for the verse and if God is gracious to bless them one day with a little girl her name will be Hope from this verse as well. What a great way to tell your children how you decided upon a name for them.

Ladies, I dearly love Angie. She has been such a blessing in my life. Her godly example to our teenagers, love and grace with her little boy, and her willingness to serve the Lord with her husband brings a smile to my face. As my grandpa would say, “She’s the real deal.”

As I said earlier I am truly blessed to serve at a church with two awesome staff wives. No matter where God leads in the future, whether we all serve here until retirement or Jesus returns or God moves us to the next place of service, these two ladies will always be my friends. In addition, we truly are sisters because we have a Heavenly Father.

No comments: