Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Child-Like Faith

This year I have been blessed to serve First Baptist Church Clarksville as the director of their Parents' Day Out program. I work with an incredible and dedicated staff, and have the best families to serve, but I think my favorite aspect of this job is getting to be around the preschoolers.

I love going into their classrooms. I get to play, snack, read or just join in on whatever activity their teacher is leading them in. While I am not in the classrooms as much as I would like, I am never sorry that I took the time to drop in.

Over the next couple of posts, I will be sharing a few ideas and little lessons that God has shown me through the children I see through this ministry.

I used to think that a child's faith was basically an ignorant faith. I mean you can get a kid to believe just about anything right? I am not so sure about that anymore. Even preschoolers are smart. They understand more than most people give them credit for. They are inquisitive. They want to know "why." They love to discover.

God wants us to seek Him, to press into Him, to discover Him. Yes, we much obey because God tells us things - just as preschoolers are disciplined, we too are corrected by God. But, we just need to make sure we are TRUSTING Him as a child does.

My daughter knows her daddy will catch her as she jumps to him off the top stair step. She has complete trust in her daddy because she knows her daddy. As we learn more about our heavenly Father, we trust Him all the more. We then have something to base our relationship on.

Faith and Trust go together. Each one leads to more of the other. That is what a child-like faith is all about.

What does it look like to you?

I will post some more thoughts on this later this week.

No comments: