Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I am an Individual

If you read my blog yesterday, you already know about this cute book I acquired called Desperate Pastor’s Wives by Ginger Kolbaba and Christy Scannell. I also mentioned that we were going to travel to our own Lulu’s Café and discuss a couple issues that I believe we all have to deal with if we are married to a staff person. Now we cannot feast of fictional Lulu’s homemade pies so I hope that you have your favorite chocolate snack available. So pull up a chair and let’s touch on the topic of being your own person.

“Oh, this is our pastor’s wife.” “It is so nice to have Bro. So and So’s wife with us today.” I know you have heard those words. Doesn’t it want to make you respond, “My name is . . . .” I love being a minister’s wife and am often referred to as the “pastor’s wife,” however, at times I just want to scream when this happens. After all I am my own person and I do have a name.

I remember when my children were young and I was assisting with a field trip for my youngest son’s class. I was riding in a car with a friend who already knew I was minister’s wife and another mom who I had just met. We carried on a lengthy conversation and laughed about different issues that our kindergarteners had during the year. My friend happened to mention something about church, and I responded by simply stating I would have to check with my husband. My friend in turned giggled and said, “well, aren’t you the pastor’s wife and don’t you know everything that goes on at church?” The other mom turned around, faced me with huge eyes and her face white as a sheet and asked, “You’re a pastor’s wife?” I laughed and said, “yes and my name is Vickie. Also, I’m a mom, a student, and love being with good friends.” My friend driving the car almost had a wreck because she was laughing so hard. She added, “Don’t worry. Vickie is just a regular person who just happens to be married to a pastor.”

Yes, I have a name and I am a regular person. I am not stuffy or boring. I love laughing and having a good time. I am more comfortable in a pair of jeans or shorts and shirt because I love to be outdoors. I love going barefoot. I love Jesus, my church, and I have a servant’s heart. I am thankful for those people who introduce me by name and leave off the minister’s wife title until the other party gets to know me.
Girlfriends, you have a name and are a regular person too. God knows our name and He created us with talents and interests that make us unique. He also gifted us with spiritual gifts that fit our personality. When in doubt of just who you are, remember what our Heavenly Father says in Jeremiah 1:5, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I set you apart.”

1 comment:

Kristy said...

When I met my bestfriend 6 years ago I just happened to be her Pastor's wife. She would always indroduce my as just that. I would always say " and I am also her friend, Kristy". We left that church 2 years ago and I am now just Kristy. Glad to know that I am not out in this big world alone.