Friday, March 5, 2010

Heed the Warning

A few weeks ago I was in a hotel room all alone. I had just gotten out of the shower, standing there soaking wet, when the fire alarm sounded. Loud. Screechy. Unending. Is there a fire? Is this a false alarm? What should I do?

I have some options. One, I can wrap up in a towel and run out of the room as fast as I can into the cold February air soaking wet and unclothed. Definitely not a pretty sight! Two, I can quickly throw on the jammies that are right there on the counter and then run out of the room. Still not a pretty sight and besides, I need my moisturizer on! Three, I can get dressed and then go out. Forth, I could ignore it totally and hope it goes away. I am sure there were other options but these were the ones that flashed through my mind quickly. What to do?

There are obvious drawbacks to all options. Total embarrassment if I ventured out of my room in my jammies, or worse, nothing but a towel. If I wait until I am "presentable" and there really is a fire, I could be burned up.

So, I did what any prideful woman would do. I ignored the alarm and told myself I needed to get my moisturizer on, my lotion on, and my clothes on, THEN I would heed the warning.

Eventually, the alarm stopped and I never did find out what it was sounded for but here's what the Lord spoke to me while all of this was going on.

There are warnings, alarms (from the Holy Spirit) that go off all of the time....and we have a choice to make each time we "hear" those alarms. Do we heed or do we ignore? When we are about to say something or do something and we hear the "alarm", we must heed it. There is danger in what we are about to say or do and we must run from it.

Heed the warnings my friends. Listen to the alarms that go off in your heart or mind or spirit. God is warning you and believe me, He does not give off false alarms!!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Dana - Your blog made me laugh out loud. I could just see you standing there trying to decide what to do!!! Glad everything turned out well...and thanks for brightening my day.

Love you,
Jeanne Davis