Thursday, March 25, 2010

Imperfection

Once again I want to take you back to Lulu’s and sit alongside with the fictional pastor’s wives as they discuss another issue-perfection. Grab your cup of coffee or diet soda and your favorite chocolate treat and pull up a chair because you might learn something new.

While reading Desperate Pastor’s Wives I truly found myself relating to specific characters and their issues. One of the problems that arose was the need to be perfect. Let’s face it. Many ministers’ wives are judged on the clothes they wear, their hairstyles, their cooking skills, how they raise their children, how their husband dresses and even ministers. These are just a few areas in which we are judged and that puts a heavy load of us.

However, as you know we are not perfect . . . well, at least I am not perfect. I would love to say that I am dressed daily by stylist who picks the perfect outfits and that my hair is never out of place. Alas, I find myself wondering who designs clothes these days. For instance, I went on a mission to find a simple dress for Easter. After a couple of hours of shopping, I went home frustrated. Either the dresses were cut to low, short, or tight or they were out of my price budget. Right now, I think I will stick with my black slacks and blouse. I guess if I did not eat my daily dose of chocolate my body might conform to the tight dress but as I said I am not perfect.

Another area in which I am imperfect in is my kitchen skills. Our church knows up front that I am not the best cook in the world. I have my few recipes that I can master-chili, roast, Cajun red beans and rice-to name a few. I am not bragging but these few dishes are what my family loves for me to make. Of course, they may just be playing it safe because I have been known to “offer up burnt sacrifices” to my family. I even set the oven on fire one Thanksgiving! Thank heavens my mom, who is an awesome cook, was there and saved the day.

I firmly believe that there many in our congregations who need to see that we are not perfect. I truly believe they want us to be real. According to one character in the book, “We carry such weighty expectations-from other people, from our own families, and even from ourselves. And they’re impossible expectations to meet.” I know there are times when I try so hard to be the best that all I do is stress myself and my family.

Let’s face it, the last time I checked Jesus is the only perfect one. He lived a sinless life. I will not be perfect until I reach eternity. So in the meantime, I will gladly have my bad hair days and try to hide the bumps and rolls of my waist and thighs. I will continue to experiment in the kitchen and will probably still present “burnt sacrifices.” I am so glad my Father loves his imperfect little girl.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I at a church were my husband was the pastor was standing in line for a Homcoming dinner and one of the men walked up to me and said "Years ago when I was a young man the Pastor's wife set the example of how the other women were dress. They were always the best dressed and thier hair was always fixed even when you saw them out in town. They always had on a dress". I was shocked. He was waiting on a response from me. Before I could even speak my friend beside me said " Well, I sure and glad our Pastor's wife has on pants". I also explained that I had 4 kids under 3 years old and if I had a dress on I can asure him that I would be more talked because I can't sit like a lady. He never said anything more to me or my husband about the way I dressed. All Christ ask of us is to live for Him with our actions, thoughts, and words. Share His name and love others. I am thankful for days when my hair is a mess, my clothes may have a spot or spots on them, or when the kids open car the door in the church parking lot and a Mcdonalds box falls out and hits the ground. That just means I have had more time to spend with My God and my family.