Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Human Moments

I have just returned from our convention's state meeting. I was so blessed to have been able to attend our two special events for ministers wives: The Good Cup and the Ministers Wives Luncheon. Girlfriends, both events were a great time of fellowship, fun, and yes, even chocolate!



One of the topics that was discussed around the table was how God, with his ultimate sense of humor, makes us or our families human toward our congregation. Well girls, I was sitting at the back of the room and could hear the peels of laughter coming from each table. Unfortuately, I could not hear the stories being told but my mind certainly began rolling the tape of my very human family.



Many years back my husband was being interviewed by a pulpit committee. This group of men drove several hours to listen to my husband and then we loaded our children, then not yet two and five, into the car and drove to a restaurant. Lunch went well. The boys were behaving like little troopers and the interview went into full swing.



As you know children will be children and I have to believe that God decided that my boys had done very well so He wanted to throw a few curve balls in to the meeting. First, my oldest announced to the group, "I have to go to the bathroom and poo poo." (Yes girlfriends, right in the front of the pulpit committee!) Since the bathroom was just through the door and I could see who might go in, I allowed Mr. Independent so to alone. I should have known that something was about to happen. A few minutes pass and Stephen does not return. I take my youngest to the door and told him to check on his brother. Suddenly, I hear giggling and almost two year old Bryan yelling, "Bubba's stuck in the potty and can't get out!" Yep, everyone in the room and restaurant heard him. My poor husband quickly excuses himself in order to rescue our son.



With the potty scene settled, my husband returns and I place the boys in the corner with a bag full of toys. Life is flowing quietly and I get caught up in the interview. I wish I could tell you everything went smoothly from there but no, God was not through with his humor.



Right in the middle of the interview, Bryan quietly snuck under the table, crawled over to one of the pulpit members and began barking, yes barking, like a dog! I was completely mortified. I am thinking to myself "just ignore him and the committee will not notice." No, Bryan continued to bark louder and one of the gentleman began to pat his head like a dog. Now, everyone at the table is laughing and the interview ends. We gather our belongings and buckle into the car. As we are waving goodbye to the committee, my husband says while smiling, "Wave everyone because that is the last time we will ever hear from this church again." Two months later we were the new pastor family at this church. Their reason for calling us-we were human.



So girlfriends, I have shared one of my family's human moments. Now it is time for you to share with me. Nothing is too embarassing or funny. After all God DOES have a sense of humor.

2 comments:

Kathy Britton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Britton said...

When our daughter was 7 years old she began saying she would like to go to the Grand Canyon one day. Our son, at the age of three said, “I want to go to California”. My husband said, “Son, we do not want to go there. There is nothing there but necked women.”

A few weeks later, my husband’s secular job moved him to another town and we began looking for a church to attend. We found one we were interested in and met the pastor and his wife and told them that Roger was a minister, etc. The following Sunday, our son went into the pastor’s wife’s Sunday school class. They were talking about missionaries and going to different places, when our son spoke up and said, “Me and daddy want to go to California to see the necked women!”

Thankfully, his teacher was a “humanly pastor’s wife” and met us at the door and just died laughing. Needless to say, we were quite embarrassed and my husband was more careful what he said. Lesson Learned! Smile.