Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas in the Dominican Republic

Ernie and I arrived in the Dominican Republic December 21st to spend Christmas with our son and daughter-in-law. They moved here one year ago to do missions and this is our first time here.

I am pictured here with a precious little girl who kept "eyeing" me at her school party...those eyes were begging me to let her sit on my lap...and I was longing to do it!!

All week I have been pondering, praying and wondering what God would have me share with you this Christmas week....and honestly, I am mute....and I am not sure why....but there is one thought that keeps permeating my heart.

Christmas here is so different than in the States. I am not rushing here and there. Not many lights and decorations or Christmas songs and shopping or trees and cold weather...but there is Christ and His provisions and His laborers and His people. We have worshiped in Spanish where I knew no words and in English where I knew no people other than my family. And even though things might not "seem" like Christmas....Christmas it is because Christ came.

Friend....perhaps something has happened this year that finds yourself saying, "it just does not feel like Christmas". We know that the truth of the matter is that even if we have no tree, or lights, or cards, or snow, or songs, or family, or tradition or Santa....it is Christmas!!! Perhaps next year we should go without all of the "stuff" that makes it "feel" like Christmas and just focus on Christ!

Love to you all....

No comments: