Saturday, December 18, 2010

I'll Be Home for Christmas if Only in My Dreams

I can smell the food now. Mom standing the kitchen making our traditional Christmas family feast which we call Mexican Fiesta. Yes, instead of the classic turkey or ham with trimmings, our family chose several years ago to go with homemade enchildas, salsa, rice, beans, and chips. Mom spends days preparing chili for beef enchildas and cooking chicken for her special chicken sour cream enchildas. Oh man, my mouth is watering!


Unfortunately, this year my husband and I will not be traveling back to southwest Arkansas for Christmas. Instead we are spending Christmas here. We are have explained to our families this year that it will be impossible for us to get away due to ministry obligations. They understand but are sad. Instead I plan to cook a small meal for my husband, son, and mother/father-in-law.


Sadly, many ministering families live great distances from their families. Missionaries often cannot travel home for holidays. Instead they use the time to invite the people they minister to into their homes. Some ministers of local churches open their homes to senior adults who might be alone for Christmas.


This year we will join our church family for a wonderful Christmas Eve service. On Christmas Day we will celebrate quietly at home. We will make a Christmas Day phone call to my family in Arkansas and pretend we are there in our dreams enjoying the Mexican Fiesta. My men will watch football for hours and I will find a Christmas movie to enjoy. More importantly we will carry on our family tradition of reading the Christmas story of Jesus' birth.


So ladies, I wish you a blessed and happy Christmas. I pray you will be renewed for the coming year.

No comments: