Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Where Prostitution is OK


Where I am sitting I can hear the waves crashing on to the shore and can see the beautiful, powerful water rushing in and out of the Atlantic Ocean. When I go to bed at night and wake in the morning I hear the sound of the powerful sea. Calming. Powerful. This morning, however, they are frightful. Dark. Angry.

As I reflect on the sea and the waves that can at times be beautiful and calming and at other times be dark and dangerous and frightful I think of how this country we are visiting our son in (Dominican Republic) is much the same.

We can go to beautiful beaches, quaint restaurants, and see beautiful homes and at the same time see poverty and dirt and pain.

Nothing has hurt my heart more than the prostitution that is legal and rampid in this city. I have heard about it all year as our son and daughter-in-law tell us about how the city they live in is well known for its prostitution....men from Europe and all over the world come here just for that. I was disturbed and concerned and prayerful all along....but yesterday I saw...and have been changed. As we were walking down the street coming toward us was an older man holding hands with a beautiful, young girl...maybe 14 or 15...with empty eyes....and the Lord gave me a glimpse of what is happening.

All night I have not been able to sleep thinking/praying for these young teens whose lives are nothing like a teen's life ought to be. Ladies, would you please join with me in praying for these girls? These men? The missionaries here who are trying to do something about this? I wanted to grab her and take her home with me...it is rampid and it is open and it is acceptable here. How did that happen?

Lord, open our eyes to see what You want us to see...then give us an urgency to pray for Your beautiful girls all around the world. Today, Father, may each one get a glimpse of how much You love them.

No comments: