Monday, February 18, 2013

The Lord Chooses

Some of you who are pastors’ and ministers’ wives probably wonder how you ended up in this role.   Was it an accident? Did it happen by chance?  Did someone make a mistake?  The answer to all of these questions is a resounding,  NO!!  God had YOU in mind, my dear sister.  Yes, the Lord chose YOU.
You may be asking, “Why did He choose me?" "What could God have possibly seen in me to select me to fill this role?”  “I feel so unqualified!”  All of us who fill these shoes have probably felt this way at one time or another.   You may feel like you are not talented enough, not spiritual enough, not patient enough, not hospitable enough, and other “not enoughs”!  
Although you may believe that you are not cut-out for the role of being the wife of a pastor or minister,  just reflect for a moment on all that the Lord has done through you.  He has strengthened you as you have stood beside your husband in ministry, supporting and encouraging him.  He has equipped you with certain gifts as you have served Him and His people.  He has given you a gentle and sensitive heart as you have prayed over situations and circumstances affecting your church.  He has allowed you to see Him answer prayers in a miraculous way.  He has given you godly, lifelong relationships.  After pondering these things, and perhaps many more, would you still ask the question, “Why me?”
This year my husband will celebrate 16 years of ministry, the last 9 years as a pastor and the first 7 years as an associate minister.   And I can honestly look back and see wonderful blessings and relationships that our Father has bestowed on me and our family, blessings  that we would not have experienced had my husband not accepted the Lord’s call to serve, and had I not accepted my role to faithfully stand beside him.  Our 16 year journey has by no means been without some bumps and trials along the way.  But the great experiences and blessings have far outweighed the unpleasant moments.
Remember, precious sister, God did choose you. When we truly meditate on the sovereignty of God, we know that nothing, absolutely nothing happens by chance or accident.  You are a pastor’s wife or minister’s wife for such a time as this, to make a difference in the world and in your church.   No matter what our critics say (we all have those!), we also have our encouragers and people who dearly love us and pray for us.   Most importantly, our Savior loves us and chose us to serve and glorify Him!
"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit........."  John 15:16a

No comments: