Friday, January 10, 2014

Different Denomination/Same Struggle


Yesterday I ran into one of our former staff’s grown daughter who also happened to be one of my former youth girls.  I had a wonderful time catching up with her, seeing her precious children, and slowly realizing that I am getting older because I still view all my former youth as still teenagers.  What was more amazing for me is to see this beautiful young woman serving the Lord alongside her pastor husband. 

 

As we talked she openly shared how truly blessed she and her husband are to be serving in their small church.  However, they face some struggles.  It is an older congregation with very few young couples or children.  Being an older congregation, they are pretty set in their ways.  When a suggestion on “updating” something arises, the statement is “we’ve never done it that way before.”  (Boy, I believe we have all heard that statement.)

 

As this precious minister’s wife shared, she made another statement that stuck out to me.  She stated, “We don’t have any friends close by and I am so lonely because I am a people person.”  I just wanted to wrap my precious girl in my arms and hug her.  It literally broke my heart. 

 

Girlfriends, here is the point I want to make this morning and I want you to hear me on this important point.  This young lady was raised Southern Baptist but her husband is of another Baptist denomination.  Sisters, it does not matter what denomination, Christ following church you are part of.  If you are a minister’s wife, you still face the same struggles as any other minister’s wife. 

 

Look around your community and see the different Christ following denominations.  Do you know their ministers’ wives?  I have been fortunate to share with fellow sisters in ministry in several denominations-Assemblies of God, Methodist, Baptist, etc.  Our doctrine may be a little different from each other but we still serve the same Lord and face the same issues.

 

Since our association has a ministers’ wives fellowship each month, I have invited this young lady to join us next week as we kick off the year with a chili supper fellowship.  No, she may not be Southern Baptist but she is one of God’s servants (plus she eats  chocolate I might add).

 

Sisters, take time to meet the other ministers’ wives in your area.  Maybe you can be an encouragement to one another.

No comments: