Thursday, January 23, 2014

"For to This You Have Been Called"

What has God called YOU to?

"For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps." 1 Peter 2:21 (ESV, emphasis mine)

In the ministry, we make a big deal of being "called." God "called" our husbands into ministry. He "called" our family to serve and lead such-n-such church. He "called" our church into a specific mission or building project. But what is it that He has called YOU to?

Whether or not you've ever felt "called" to anything, the above verse is pretty clear. We have been "called" to "this." In context Peter is extolling us to do what we do as Jesus would. 

Sometimes I am overwhelmed with the idea that dishes and laundry are only cleaned to be dirtied again. I am annoyed that my four year old likes to drag out ALL of her toys and frustrated that the church we serve is still so resistant to needed changes. 

Yet, I find contentment in knowing that "this" is what God has "called" me to. 

How did He do this? 
      -He suffered for me to be able to do the laundry, prepare meals and wash dishes. 
Why did He do this?
     -Because He wanted to leave me an example, so I can love my children the way He loves me.
What does He want me to accomplish in this "calling"?
     -To follow in His steps. By fulfilling my "calling" and being the new creation He placed in me, I will follow His steps. I will glorify God as I patiently and prayerfully watch Him purify His bride, transforming her into His image. 

So ladies, no matter what, where or who God has "called" you to, He has put you where you are by suffering "for you, leaving you an example so that you might follow in his steps."

What is the "this" that you have been called to? You may have never felt called to be a minister's wife, but yet, here you are. And here is a New Testament passage to point to that proves God has a plan for your life. 

So I ask again: "What has God called you to?"

No comments: