Friday, January 24, 2014

"My" Calling?

There have been times I haven't been quite so content in my roles of wife, mother and minister's wife. I haven't been so accepting of my "calling."

It wasn't so glamorous as I had imagined. It wasn't as exciting as I had hoped. It didn't seem to compare with having my own identity in a career or a part from being Wally's wife or Riley's mom, or the church's expected first volunteer. Wasn't there something, anything more?

I am not saying I won't struggle with these issues again, but I was convicted of my own self-centered  attitude and sin. I had taken my focus off Christ and began to look within my self.

Jesus was clear.

"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it." Mark 8:34-35 (ESV emphasis mine)

"My" calling is all about giving up my rights to myself. 

As I've come to accept this truth about "my" calling, I have actually saved my life. Instead of just running through my day and checking things off a list -even spiritual things, I am living "my" calling. I am experiencing God's peace and contentment as I realize through experience that what He has for me, including laundry and church committee meetings, really is far better than what I have for myself. 

Ladies, how do you deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Him?

No comments: