Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Leadership & Routines


I know I should seek my husband's advice and guidance a whole lot more often. I mean God made him my husband for a reason and I should seek out his leadership. Pridefully, I like to think that I can handle all things of the home. I try to be organized and with it, getting the library books back on time and ensuring that there is always a pitcher of sweet tea in the fridge for him. 

But sometimes, despite my best intentions, it just doesn't seem to happen. Take for instance the last couple of weeks:

I have truly been struggling with all the glories of my first trimester while helping my 5 year-old adjust to the rigors of adapting to kindergarten. More mornings than not, I would find myself fussing and nagging Riley through finishing her breakfast, brushing her teeth and getting herself dressed. My voice volume raised. My patience gone. My day (and hers) off to a far less than stellar start. 

This wasn't what I wanted. I wanted her to start her day ready, but not rushed. I wanted her to be happy when she bopped her way from the car circle into the classroom. I wanted her to have great memories of me in the morning. This really wasn't happening.

So, complaining to my husband one night, he suggested an old idea he had had a year ago when we were in a similar predicament when it came to getting ready for Mother's Day Out. He reminded me that our daughter is a lot like me. She likes to see what she has accomplished. She likes to have clear expectations. She likes to have at least a little control of what is going on in her life. She likes routine. 

Part of me will always hate it when he is right. This week, he has proven to be right yet again. I got out Riley's dry erase board and listed her morning routine placing an expected time of completion by two sections. Yesterday, we walked out the door right on time. Today, we were early!

This week, we will look at routines. But this morning I want to encourage you to seek out your husband's advice. Don't be like me, and just assume you can do it . . . or, that you already know what he is going to say. Even if you have been married for years and years, God has placed your husband as the head of your home. Give him the opportunity to lead, not just at church, but especially in your family. 

Can you recall a time you submitted to your husband's leadership and were blessed by it? It never ceases to amaze me when I do things God's way, how much happier I am . . .

No comments: