Friday, September 26, 2008

Ruts & Routines

Okay, MY plan was to post this yesterday, but in line with my theme for the week, my routine for the day was interrupted. So, here I am today sharing my thoughts with the God-given illustration of yesterday. I knew what I wanted to say, but was really unsure how to start it, when God interrupted.

Yesterday morning I prayed that God would control and lead me through my day. I dropped my daughter off at school and ran to Wal-Mart to grab a few items I needed. I thought I had time and was browsing through the toy section to get ideas for my nephew's birthday gift when my cell phone rang. I knew from my caller id it was a good friend and eagerly answered the call. I was surprised to hear the tears and pain in her voice and we agreed to meet immediately back at my house. 

She sat on my couch and began to unload her heart. She had issues with her husband. She had issues with her oldest son. She had issues with herself. And she had issues with God. Her life had become so busy -filled with schedules and routines- that she had scheduled God right out of everything that she was doing. I mean she was still going to church, trying to witness to her neighbors and serve her family, but she was starving her own personal pursuit of Christ. She runs her home like a well-oiled machine. She follows a strict budget. She has her family planner color coded by family member and always by her side. Yet, her routine no longer contained any opportunity for her to be still and know that He is God. It was unintentional, yet she found herself in a rut of a routine, that allowed no room for God to grow in her life. As a result, she found that every other aspect of her life was suffering. 

I find myself in a different kind of rut this week . . . I am still getting up early every morning to have my Bible study and prayer time, but I have to confess that it has gotten pretty stale. I find myself going though the motions just to check it off my list and say that I have done it for the day. I am not stretching myself. I am not really growing. I am just going. I am just doing and all the while my rut just gets deeper. 

As I prayed with my friend, I realized how alike our situations really were. I am not that far from finding myself in her shoes. I need to really pursue God passionately. I need help reorganizing my routine too. I need to be fed and I need to grow. I need more and more of Him. 

What have you done to get out of a rut? I don't think I need to ditch my whole routine, but I do know that it definitely needs to be tweaked. A different Bible study perhaps, or maybe a little less television in the evening may help. You know, I think I am going to ask my husband. Not only would it be a "real" conversation, but it gives me the opportunity to turn to him for some leadership. Hey, isn't that where I started my week? 

No comments: