Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Friendships

I have been so blessed through the years with wonderful friendships. Each place God moved us, He had special women waiting to impact my life.

Has anyone told you, that as a minister's wife, you cannot have a good friend? Have you been accused of favoritism or excluding someone? Do you feel guilty if you don't divide your time evenly between the women of your church or ministry area?

Let me stop here and say ... Stop Listening to those lies! Satan loves to isolate Christians so he can "sift them like wheat".

Friendships are very important in ministry. You, as a minister's wife, need the love and support of women. I would like to give you some hints on developing healthy friendships in ministry.

Women need women. Your relationship with your husband is number one under God without challenge. Yet, there is still the need to have the relationship with women. Some things only women can understand. (i.e. mood swings, weight, shoes and the need for another pair!)

God tells us in Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." Male and Female, different! We need female friends who understand what we are feeling. To comfort us and rejoice with us.

Accountability is another reason we need the friendship of women. Our husband is accountable for our spiritual growth and providing for us and our children. He is also accountable for an entire congregation or youth group or choir, etc. This is quite a responsibility and it is easy for us to slip through the cracks.

The friendship of a Godly friend helps us to stay on track. Scripture tells us, "As iron sharpens iron, So a man (woman) sharpens the countenance of his(her) friend." Proverbs 27:17

If you have a best friend, stop and thank God for that gift today. If you do not, begin praying now that God will bring you that friend who will "stick closer than a brother (sister)".

We will look this week at the characteristics that are important as we choose friends. In the meantime, I recommend the book, Friendships of Women by Dee Brestin.

1 comment:

Pat said...

This is sooo true! Until about 7 years ago, I didn't have what I would call, a best friend. I made some friends at the various churches we served, but there was always something lacking. After a tremendous experience in my life, an acquaintance asked if I had someone with whom I could confide, pray and grow with and I had to say no. She & I began praying for that person, but little did either of us know that God had already chosen her to be that person. That was an awesome gift from God that we still cherish today and never take for granted. Since then, He has given me other wonderful friends as well, through the development of our Ministers' Wives Fellowship Support Group. Without these ladies, I shudder to think where I might be right now.