Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Back to Where Do You Sit?

Karen posed a great question last week, "Where do you sit on Sunday mornings?", and I was very interested in hearing your responses.

When Ashleigh and Brandon were little we would sit a few rows back and my husband sat on the front pew. This allowed them to learn how to conduct themselves during "big church" without disturbing him AND the entire congregation! Sometimes they would want to sit up by Ernie and after exhibiting great "big church" behavior, we would allow them to and what a special time it was for all of them!!

It was important to me that they sit with me and not with their friends or their friend's families, however, their friends were welcome to sit with us. When they became teenagers, they sometimes would sit with the rest of the students close to the front . We were so blessed that they were a part of a youth group who sat 'front and center' instead of in the back!! Interestingly, most of the time they would continue to sit with me and I treasure those moments worshipping with them.

For many years the offering portion of our worship service took place before my husband spoke and every week after the offering plate passed by us, I would lean over to my children and pray for God to speak and move as he preached. Prayer was also an important part of our driving to church as I prayed out loud with them for us to be teachable, for their dad to speak Truth and for the Body of Christ to hear and obey.

Now that we are 'empty nesters' I still sit a few pews back....and, as a creature of habit, it usually is the same place every week. I love Karen's strategy of changing seats.....it sure would keep some people on their toes!! AND because I know I miss meeting people who sit in other places. Another down side of sitting in the same place all of the time is it leaves an empty place when not there; many from the church we just left have commented to me about the void in the place I usually sat.

I have visited churches where the pastor's wife sat next to him on the front row and I wondered if I was 'suppose' to do that too. I often feel guilty because I prefer not being 'front and center' or the focus of anyone....honestly, I'd rather be invisible!! Incognito!!

So, I have another question for you. If your church has more than one service on Sunday morning, do you attend all of the services or just one? More on this later!

Blessings to you sister!

No comments: