Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TRAGEDY IN THE PULPIT

I am sure by now you have read about the pastor that was shot and killed in Maryville, Illinois this past weekend. His name was Fred Winters and he had been the pastor for more than 20 years. The congregation had grown from just over 100 to over 1200 during the time that he was the pastor. From everything I have read he was a wonderful people person and was loved by everyone.

The reports are not sure whether Pastor Fred knew the killer or if this man just walked in and started shooting. The congregation never dreamed that this could occur in their church and they sat stunned as the whole thing played out in front of them.

I have to say, I have thought about this before. And not just on one occasion. Everytime I hear of anything like this, I wonder what would I do. What would our church do? Would there be anyone picking up on the fact that this was not normal? To be honest, it is a little frightening to think that our husbands are up front with no protection and often, no plans in place.

Have you ever felt uneasy about something like this happening to your husband? Please comment and let me know. Also, let me know if your church has a plan, and if so, what is it? You may be able to help the rest of us.

I know that God has a perfect plan for us and our families. I know that we have His protection. But I also know that satan is alive and well and we should be ready for anything.

My thoughts and prayers have been with Pastor Fred's family and church. I can't even begin to understand how they feel. Of course, I have thought a lot about his wife. I went to the church's website and read what they had posted. In the post they asked for prayers for the families, not just of Pastor Fred but of the assailant's as well. What a remarkable lady and congregation to remember at such a tragic time that the one that caused the pain was the very one who needed their prayers. I am praying that God works tremendously through all of this and when we get to Heaven there will be people there because God used this to bring salvation to many.

No comments: