Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What is God Trying to Teach You?

I recently had the opportunity to attend the Beth Moore Living Proof Conference for Ministers Wives in Nashville, TN. I really did not have a clue of what to expect but I knew that anything when Beth and God show up. I was certainly overwhelmed by God’s Spirit and by the time the conference was over, I just wanted to gather around some girlfriends and gobble some chocolate.

Seriously, my heart was blessed. I went as a weary and worn minister’s wife and left refreshed and encouraged. From my advantage point in the upper level, I could look across the room and see hundreds of fellow sisters who needed a fresh touch from the Heavenly Father.

However, it was not until Saturday morning during a break time that I fully understood that I am not in this job alone. During the break, the team opened the altar to anyone who just needed to confess a sin, pray with an encourager, or just pour their hearts out to God. My heart broke as I saw so many from our sisterhood come forward. At one point I saw a woman literally fall in to an encouragers arms and bury her head on her shoulder and cry. I think the thing I remember the most is the loud weeping almost wailing of a sister whose heart was broke or hurt. Girlfriends, God was using these encouragers and the ministry team as His arms on earth.

It is only those of us in this sisterhood that truly understands the overwhelming responsibility, need, and deep hurt that exist in God’s service. It is no wonder that so many ministers leave their ministry or why so many ministers wives are bitter, isolated, or even worse, leave their husbands. It is no wonder that many minister’s children want no part of church when they see the ugliness inside the church. If only the congregations of our churches could understand that we too hurt, have needs, and need encouragement just they do. Sometimes all it takes to lift us up is a simple kind word or a hug from the flock.

If I may I would like to borrow something from the conference. In preparing for what she should discuss at the conference, Beth Moore’s Living Proof Ministry asked only ministers wives to comment on their blog about what they would like Beth to know about the ministry. Believe me, there were some great answers-sad and very funny. A couple of comments rang true for me: “Sometimes sheep bite” and “What is God trying to teach us?”

So sisters, hear is what I want you to do. Post a comment on what you wish church members knew about the ministry or perhaps you might like to share what God has taught you during your ministry.

You are loved dear sisters!

4 comments:

Shelly said...

My husband has been in the ministry for 10 plus years and I can almost count on one hand how many church members have had us over for dinner. It really helps to get to know the members better and you feel so loved on, blessed, and honored when they do invite you. You would think we have bad manners or something!

TXGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TXGirl said...

wish church members and non-christians wouldn't think that I do or say something only because I'm a minister's wife. I would like them to know that my motivation is Christ and not my position. I would still work with youth, go to bible study, go to all three services during the week, think things need to be done differently within the church to impact more for Christ if I were "just" a lay church member.

TXGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.