Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pure or Impure Motives?

So, let's go back to the question I asked yesterday. If your church has more than one worship service on Sunday morning, do you attend all of the services?

This has been somewhat of a struggle for me over the years. Sometimes I have gone to all of our morning services, sometimes I have only gone to one. (And when satan really has me in a stronghold of sin and self, I have even stayed home!!)

When our children were small our church had several morning services and I would only go to one. Sundays can be quite difficult for babies and young children and I did not want to push them over the edge! They needed routine and rest. For the most part, this practice of attending just one of the morning services continued throughout the years our children were at home.

Several years ago I began attending both of our morning worship services and I want to share with you some of the reasons why:
  • I love worshipping my huge, powerful God.
  • Hearing the Word once is not enough for me....I needed/wanted to hear it again and again!
  • I thought I was 'suppose' to.
  • Fearful I would 'get in trouble' with people if I did not.
  • Felt I needed to be seen so people knew I was going to church.
  • Wanted to be where my husband was.
  • Wanted to see people who were in other services.

Sadly, you can see that many of my motives were not pure!!! People and my selfish motives were the reason and not God! How often do we make decisions as minister's wives based on what we think we are suppose to do rather than because we love the Lord with all of our heart and soul and strength and might?

The Lord convicted me several years ago about my impure motives in this area and it was so freeing!! I now can attend both services or just one service without guilt or fear or selfishness.

You are free, sister!!

No comments: