Monday, March 23, 2009

Chipmunk Watching


While walking in the park one day, I was voicing simple sentence prayers to God. It was a cold day and the wind was cutting, however, I just needed to be outdoors. I also just needed to see or hear God.

One of the simple prayers I prayed was for the economic future. In these unstable times, no one knows what the day holds. Many people are facing joblessness, foreclosure, or the loss of their retirement nest egg. Since I am a penny pincher and also have a college senior son seeking a job, I often find myself “concerned” over the financial crisis at hand. On this particular day, I need a sense that God was in control of my family’s well-being.

No sooner had I placed this prayer before the throne than a small chipmunk jumped in my path. Once I got control over my shepherd breed dog and stopped my heart from racing, my thoughts were drawn to this small creature. Watching the chipmunk, I saw him busy finding food for his meal. A light bulb went on for me. God was providing for one of His creatures and He will also provide for His children.

As I continued on the walk, the path took a sharp left curve. Now I have walked this path many times and I know that it continues up a steep incline. However, I remember the first time I walked this path. I did not know that lay beyond what I could see. Would it come to a dead end? Would there be a fork in the road and I would have to choose a route? Would there be something in the path that would harm me?

Realization hit me again. None of us knows what our futures hold. God allows us to see just so far and as much as He wants us to see. It is there that we must trust in the One who holds our futures in His hands. If God revealed all of our future, we, or at least I, certainly would not learn the lesson of trust.

So girlfriends, things may be a little discouraging in these times. However, remember our Heavenly Fathers knows the future and He cares for all his creatures-even chipmunks and His children.

No comments: