Friday, March 27, 2009

Being a Naomi



As I have mentioned in earlier blogs, I have raised three boys (my husband and two sons). Our household has always been testosterone filled and sports minded. We do not go for fluff and foofoo. We tried to stick with the manly motif in the home. However, this past weekend I got to experience what my family will be like with another female added in the mix.

You see, I went to a wedding shower for my future daughter-in-law, Robyn. The experience was just so much fun-wall to wall girls, great food, and lots of gifts. As I watched Robyn during this special event for her, I am just so blessed that she accepted my son’s marriage proposal. She a godly young lady loves to laugh, loves chocolate plus cheesecake, and loves my son. (She even tolerates and loves my husband even though he constantly asks her if she is sure she wants to marry our son. She never backs down but just replies laughingly “Yes, yes, and always yes!”)

It is my hope that Robyn will consider me as another mother because she will not be just a daughter-in-law. She will be our daughter. She won our hearts over and we love her that much.

Personally, the mother-in-law/daughter-in-law issue has received a bad rap over the years. I do not think all mother-in-laws are bad. In fact, I have a great mother-in-law who at times is just a crazy as I am. I certainly try to be a loving daughter-in-law as well. I even know what my mother-in-law likes for gifts-perfume and candles. (She raised three boys as well-her husband and two sons).

With my son’s approaching marriage, this weekend reminded me of the Bible story of Ruth and Naomi. What a precious story of a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. Their love for one another carried them through the grief of losing their spouses. Instead of running back to her family, Ruth left her home country in order to stay with and care for Naomi. What a perfect example of selfless love. In turn, Naomi loved Ruth and helped her in seeking another husband, Boaz. Instead of being overbearing and bossy, Naomi offered careful advice and encouragement to this young woman.

Ladies, I desire for Robyn and I to have the same special relationship as Ruth and Naomi. I want Robyn to be able to come to me for advice and encouragement. I want to help her reach her full potential in Christ. However, I believe as godly ladies we should also be Christian examples to younger women in our churches. I have plenty of older women I look to for advice and encouragement. In turn I try to live my life in a way that encourages younger ladies. Let’s take the time to be a Naomi to other ladies including our daughter-in-law.

Do you have a special relationship with your mother-in-law or daughter-in-law? I’m looking for advice so please share.



3 comments:

Robyn Crumby Photography said...

Ms. Vickie... why do you have to make me cry? lol! Thank you for your sweet message. Oh how I love me some Ruth and Naomi!

Robyn Crumby Photography said...

Ms. Vickie! Why do you have to make me cry? lol! Thank you for the sweet message. Oh how I love me some Ruth and Naomi!

TXGirl said...

I was thinking...You are such a great Christian example for the youth girls. How many minister's wives go on retreats and lead bible studies for the youth? You share with them on such a genuine and sincere level that's let them know you care about them, their problems and that you want what's best for them. Like me, I think you'd do all this even if you weren't the minister's wife, but that fact that you are makes it even "cooler" for them and me.