Thursday, April 2, 2009

Be Still

Psalm 46:10 "Be Still, and Know that He is God"

We all know the above verse. The question is are you applying it?

I have spent this week trying to get ready to leave for Texas. I am speaking at a weekend retreat. As always, I am behind schedule, I have had tons of interruptions and I can feel the stress in the back of my neck.

As I was preparing God reminded me of the need to be still. I was researching and my mind was full. In fact my mind was a jumbled mess!

I lay my head down on my desk in front of my computer and thought - "I cannot get a grip on this weekend, it will not come together." God said, "Be still." I did not have time to be still, I had to write and get ready!

Do you ever feel that your responsibilities keep you from your relationship with God?

Jesus is always our example. I know you remember when it was very popular to wear a bracelet with the letters WWJD. What would Jesus do? Can you imagine the mistakes that could have been avoided if that was truly the way we lived?

As I began to look at the pattern Jesus set for me I found many scriptures.

Matthew 14:22-23 "Jesus went up to the mountain to pray by Himself."
Mark 1:35 "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, He got up, went out and made His way to a deserted place. And He was praying there."
Luke 4:42 "When it was day, He went out and made His way to a deserted place."

The crowds searched for Him and wanted to be with Him. What did Jesus do? He went alone to be with the Father. He knew the disciples and people would be there when He finished being still with the Father. He also knew the Father would equip Him for the task at hand.

We must spend time with God and get to know Him before we serve the ones around us. It is in the times we are still that we draw wisdom, strength, encouragement and every other thing we need to meet the demands of the day.

I took time to "be still" and God was faithful to give me His message for the weekend. I finished and even had time to have lunch with one of my sons, paint part of our garage and transplant some plants in the flowerbed. God is good!

Sister, take time to "Be Still." God has a plan for you and is waiting to show you how He will accomplish it through you.

No comments: