Thursday, April 23, 2009

A New Hat?

Now that Baby Piper is here, I need to begin to actively pray about where I need to be serving at church.. . . I know many of you see so many needs in your church's programs and congregations. You jump in and do whatever it is that needs to be done. . . You are Sunday School Teachers, Choir Singers, Nursery Workers, Secretaries, VBS Coordinators, - the list of the hats you wear in ministry are endless . . . 

  • So my question today is this: How do you determine, especially with so many obvious needs, where it is that God desires you to serve?

I know that my first obligation in serving Christ is to serve my husband, then my daughters. I cannot serve in ministry in any capacity that would hinder my service to them. However, God has given me a spiritual gift that I must be a good steward of. I need to use it as well . . . This is what I am praying about right now. Where can I best use my spiritual gift without hurting my ministry to my family?

  • Seeing, and recognizing a need -or being asked- doesn't necessarily mean that is where I am being "called" to serve. So another thing I need some advice on is: How do you say no?

Just because we are married to a minister doesn't make us capable of performing every task that needs to be done. I would guess that most of us, ministers' wives, are no longer piano players. We were called and ordained by God to be our husband's helpmate . .  not the church's _______ (fill in the blank). So, how do we help our husband in his ministry and faithfully be a good steward of the gifts that He has given us?

  • There are so many things that we are busy doing. There are so many hats that we wear and so many titles that we carry around. Are there hats we need to take off? Is there another hat we need to put on?

What are some of the hats that you wear? How do you discern what God is telling you to do? I am praying and keeping my eyes open. I am waiting on Him. What about you?

No comments: