Monday, April 20, 2009

Changes

It is hard for me to believe that my little baby will be four weeks old this week. Everything about her and our family life still seems so new. Surely four weeks haven't gone by yet?! But, alas, the calendar doesn't lie. Time marches on. 

As if I needed another reminder of that fact, all I have to do is take a moment and watch my oldest daughter. I marvel at the fact that she will turn six next month . . . It seems like yesterday that she was the one I was rocking to sleep. 

There are a lot of things about my life that are very different from the last time I "blogged".  I have a lot more laundry to do. I am going without a lot of sleep. I am adjusting to a lot of change. 

I knew all this "change" was coming . . . but it is quite a different thing to actually adjust to it . . 

I was just thinking that all of us that are writers to this blog are undergoing some sort of change. We have all written about it at least once through the last year. Changing churches, changing families, changing jobs.  . . . 

Change itself is one of those things that never changes. Like death and taxes, change happens to all of us. It can be as simple as the menu dropping our favorite dish at restaurant that we frequent or as life altering as move to another state. 

I am so thankful that God is sovereign. He never changes and we can trust Him not only to be constant through our changes, but to be in control of orchestrating all these changes.  Yes, He changes things and allows these changes to take place for our good, but, dear sisters, He is doing so much more. The changes in our lives are not about us. Yes, God uses them to grow us, challenge us, even to "change" us, but . . . they are not about us. 

Change is all about God and His glory. 

All of us can, in our self-centered perspective, see how God has brought us good through all kinds of changes in our lives. We can cite how He has changed us, made us better people, better Christians, better minister's wives  . . . BUT, do we ever stop to see how we have brought Him glory in that process. . . What can our non-believing world learn about our God through our changes? Can they see that our lives aren't about us, but all about our God?

Maybe I am splitting a hair here. What do you think? Can you share an example of how God has been glorified through the changes in your life? How do you make sure that He gets the glory?

No comments: