Sunday, April 26, 2009

This is the Lord's Day



I just have to be open and honest about an issue I have. You may not be able to related but I believe as a minister’s wife you can stand up and testify with me. Just how many of you wish you could slap the alarm clock on Sunday mornings and go back to sleep? How many of you wish you could say “oh, I have so much to do and tomorrow I have to go back to work? What will it hurt if I stay home today?”

Okay girlfriends, I know at least once in your “staff wife career” that you have had these slightest thoughts and then pushed them out of your mind. I absolutely love being a pastor’s wife but there are some days (especially when I was working part time, had two children at home, and was going to college full time) that I just wanted to turn off the alarm and pull the covers over my head. I mean, some in our congregations do this every week, so why not us or even our husbands?

Well, I just cannot do it. This is the Lord’s Day. It’s the day we get to join in fellowship with believers and worship our Heavenly Father. It’s the day we can get spiritually filled up and renewed in order to face a dark, sinful world. Besides, God, our Lord and Savior, wants us to gather in His presence with fellow believers.

Now, I will be honest. There are days when I have dragged my children and myself into to church with a less than godly attitude. However, before the morning was over, I was blessed. On a day like today with the sun shining and the weather just perfect, I would have loved to spent time walking in the park or working the yard. However, I am truly blessed to have a church family that I love dearly and a Heavenly Father that loves me more than I will fully understand.

So confession time: As a staff wife, have you ever had the desire to stay at home on Sunday? I just need to know that I am not alone in this world.

No comments: