Monday, April 27, 2009

The Next Fifty Years



The song “If I Could Save Time in a Bottle” plays in my mind today. Just a few years ago I was the young staff pastor’s wife and now I am the senior pastor’s wife. Now all my staff wives are younger than me. My children are adults and one is getting married in May. Some of my dear friends already have grandchildren. You see last week I celebrated a milestone birthday. I reached the “golden” age for life. Yep, that age where bulges appear, hot flashes occur, joints ache, and you get to have all kinds of medical test. Have you guessed my age? I am 50.

As I sat pondering the past 50 years wearing my new tiara and pink boa (another story for another day), I discovered a few things.
*First, life is precious. We get one chance to touch lives, so we need to make good use of our time.
*Second, cherish the time you have with your children. They grow up and leave home all too soon.
*Third, do not regret the goals you have not yet accomplished but keep on grasping for them. No, I have not written the great American novel but I have managed to keep a few journals for my sons.
*Fourth, you are only as old as you feel. Girlfriends, my youngest son, Bryan, recently wrote on his Facebook to another friend “my mom will never grow up.” Yes, I still love to hang out with teenagers, go to youth camps, and play hide and seek in the dark at retreats.
*Last, never, ever pass up a piece of chocolate!

So as I look forward to the next 50 years, here is what I hope God allows for me to accomplish:
*Travel the world.
*Spend time with my family, friends, and someday my grandchildren.
*Encourage ministers wives around the world to be a support to their husbands and not to give up when the times get tough.
*Write a book that makes people laugh.
*Live to be 100 (unless Jesus returns) and live life to its fullest.
*EAT MORE CHOCOLATE AND LAUGH EVERYDAY!

1 comment:

Lana said...

Vickie, haven't you heard--50 is the new 40! I'm almost at the end of mine and I've enjoyed every year!