Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Love, Love, Love

If you turn on the TV, listen to the radio or walk into any store you are seeing red, pink and lots of hearts. Yes, it is that time of year again, Valentines Day!

Years ago I began collecting hearts for my home to remind my boys the importance of "loving one another." It started with one heart in the dining room to keep our mealtime conversations peaceful. Through the years the hearts began to filter into every room of the house.

As I think about Valentine's Day I have to admit it really is one of my favorite days. It has not always been that way, but my dad explained to me how if anyone should be able to celebrate love, it should be christians! He began to challenge me to turn this day into a day of showing God's love to those around me, especially my family.

Matthew 22:37-38 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment."

Our love for those around us is directly related to our love for God. We have to start loving our Father in order to love everyone else. If that is true, then as we prepare for Valentines Day we need to check our heart love for God. Are you spending time with Him everyday? Are you obeying Him? Are you agreeing with Him about sin and repenting? Are you in the "Living Word"?

John 14:21 "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

John 14:23 "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him."

Let's start today checking our love for the Father. Is it growing? Are we seeking Him? Do we know Him better today than yesterday?

1 comment:

Pat said...

Thanks for the reminder of the true love. Happy Anniversary--a few days early! Hope you have a great Valentines Day!