Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Time

I read Tara's last post and laughed because I was suppose to write for the blog this week and did not do it yesterday because I did not have time!

I believe all of us have problems getting our time management skills working in ministry. It is so difficult to say "NO" when someone neeeeds me!

I wish I could tell you that I had the solution, but like you, I continue to learn day by day. I do believe the key is finding what God's direction for you includes. Everyone else is more than willing to give you direction, but we have to stop and ask our Creator for His plan.

Let's be honest, we all have the same amount of time. God did not cheat any of us. The challenge is to allow God to determine how to use that time. Proverbs 3:5-6 is a favorite for all of us. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowedge Him, And He shall direct your paths." In order to trust we must be asking and obeying. Obeying sometimes means saying, "NO."

Psalm 31:14-15 says "But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, "You are my God.: My times are in Your Hands."

I guess you (we) could stop when someone is asking and quote the above verse. Then reply, "Let me take some time tonight to ask God what He wants to do with my time." At least, that will give you time to get courage to say "NO" if that is what you need to do.

I am a "fixer" so it goes against everything in me to not take on whatever comes before me, yet I have learned that God has plenty of "fixers" in His Kingdom and doesn't need me for every single job.

Well, that may not help, but at least you know that we are learning this together!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Thanks Karen!

I so needed to hear your wise words and read the scriptures you quoted.

I just messaged the dear friend and confidently said "no" knowing that it was a God directed decision. As a result I feel no guilt, only a true sense of peace.