Monday, July 25, 2011

Boasting and Pleasure

I was reading in 2 Corinthians 12 this week. I came to the passage where Paul began to list the things he had experienced as he shared Christ. I am sure you are familiar with this passage, but take time to read this list with me again.

Many more imprisonments - far worse beatings - near death many times - five times I received 39 lashes - three times I was beaten with rods - once I was stoned by my enemies - three times I was shipwrecked - I spent a night and a day in open sea - dangers from rivers - dangers from robbers - dangers from my own people - dangers from Gentiles - dangers in the city - dangers in the open country - dangers on the sea - dangers among false brothers - labor and hardship - many sleepless nights - hunger and thirst - often without food - cold - lacking clothing -daily pressure on me - my care for all the churches -thorn in the flesh - a messenger of Satan to torment me


Let me ask you a question? Have you experienced trials lately? Are you discouraged? Is the battle making you weary, stealing your joy, challenging your faith?

As I read Paul's description of the things he had and was experiencing, I had to stop and thank God for His great mercy in my own life. There have been difficult situations, hard times, disappointments, loses and conflicts, yet I cannot relate to Paul's life.

Let's now read what Paul decided to do with all these experiences.

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Therefore, I will most gladly BOAST all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may reside in me. So I take PLEASURE in weaknesses, insults, catastrophes, persecutions, and in pressures, because of Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Dear Sisters in Christ, I am not diminishing the fact that you may be suffering, but I challenge you to BOAST in Christ - take PLEASURE in His strength and make His Name Famous as those around you watch!

No comments: