Wednesday, July 6, 2011

An Idol from an Unexpected Source

I had not seen her in decades, (how is that possible when I know I am still in my 20’s!!) yet it was surprisingly easy to spot her in the crowd waiting at the Tex Mex restaurant in Dallas. Her looks had not changed a bit…but her life certainly had. After talking and crying and eating enchiladas, chips and salsa for three hours we decided we should let the poor waiter have something and someone different to serve instead of us!! After leaving a very large tip for his patience and tolerance, we picked up our discussion where we left off at Starbucks….and talked several more hours.

Last week was the first time I had “face time” with this dear college roommate since our weddings in the 70’s, and even though we have had little contact over the years, nothing had changed between us. We were able to cut through all of the mundane, unimportant topics right to the core of what was on our hearts. Isn’t it beautiful to have relationships like that?

As sorority sisters, we would laugh so hard together! I will never forget the evening we danced all around the apartment singing songs from “Funny Girl”!! (Well, I suppose THAT dates me!!) She was about to marry the love of her life and I wanted to find the love of my life. She was beautiful and funny and put together…she knew what she wanted and was going for it. And she got it. The love of her life.

The love of her life was in the ministry. He was large as life. Funny. Intelligent (not just smart—but intelligent!!) Seminary graduate. Amazing “platform” presence. Everyone loved him. Everyone was drawn to him. You knew when he was in the room….everyone was either laughing or learning or listening. God was going to do amazing things with and through this young man. We all knew it.

Fast forward to 2011. Their lives and marriage are a mess. A disaster. In ruins. There is much hurt and pain and heartache. How did this happen? It turned out that the “love of her life” was, in actuality, an idol.

Oh, as I look back on those days, I could see that she idolized him...but I said nothing. Did I even know it then? Was I so clueless that I neglected the warning signs? My dear friend...beware! The devil roars like a lion seeking to destroy YOU! Your marriage, Your ministry, Your relationships. One way he does it is to cause something very good to become very bad...an idol.

Anything we put in the center of our lives....a spouse, a CHILD!!!, a job, WHATEVER is our idol. Stop right now. Take a serious look. What is at the center of your life? Mind? Even a trial can become an idol!!

Oh, how I love you...even though I do not even know you. Lord, please reveal to each one of us where we have made anything an idol. Help us to identify them and then to break them up!! Put YOU at the center. In Jesus name....amen!

No comments: