Tuesday, July 12, 2011

" . . . By The Lord . . ."


"All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children." - Isaiah 54:13

This verse has new meaning to me this week. Notice the verse says that our children will be taught BY the Lord, not "OF" the Lord.

I have prayed since Riley, my 8 year old, was in the womb that God would reveal Himself to her. I have longed that He would teach her and have trusted that He would answer those prayers.

Yesterday, I was not the teacher. He was. I was just another pupil in His classroom of our lives.

Riley had an out-patient surgery performed at The Vanderbilt Children's Hospital to correct her "lazy" eye. She was put under general anesthesia and had two muscles on her left eye operated upon.

She was nervous. She has been for weeks. She was unsure of what to expect. She was scared.

Her daddy and I had spoken to her about faith. We had talked of His faithfulness to us. We had prayed for and with her.

But, this wasn't about us. Yes, God ministered to us and we both grew in our faith but it was really all about Riley's faith becoming her own.

He was writing her testimony. He was stretching her young faith. He was revealing His character to her.

It is hard to watch. I know that there will be many lessons she has to learn the hard way. There will be pain in her life - physical, and emotional, that He will use so she can truly experience God's peace.

A family friend made us a beautiful wooden plaque with the above verse printed on it. I had loved it because it was from him and for the uniqueness of the verse used. I began praying it. Yesterday I saw the peace it speaks of on my daughter's face as they wheeled her back for her first surgery.

Yes, God is teaching my children and yes, their peace shall be great. Thank You Lord.

No comments: