Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Rock-A-Bye-Baby



Well this is only our 15th year to pastor, but our 32nd year in the Ministry. This weekend was our FIRST Infant Funeral. How sad!!! The baby was a beautiful, perfect little boy, weighing 5 lbs. 7 oz. and was a week early. The pregnancy went uneventful and then suddenly mom went into Preeclampsia, without the usual warning signs. They rushed her to the hospital and did an emergency c-section, but it was too late for the boy. His blood supply had been cut off and he was born dead. They almost lost mom too. It was a touch and go for five days.

I had never even attended an infant funeral. The hospital had a photographer that came in and made lots of beautiful photos of baby Bo Thomas and gave the CD to the parents. Since mom had a very hard time and almost lost her life, she never got to see her son, so the pictures were extra special. The CD was playing at the funeral home.

The family had picked out the songs that were played but they broke my heart. They played Rock-a-Bye-Baby, Jesus Love Me and a couple of others. It was so sad.

My heart just goes out to this couple. I can not think of anything worse than losing a child that you have planned for, loved and nurtured for nine months.

I know that God has a purpose for everything and we are not to question, but it is hard, humanly, to make sense of this. As a pastor’s wife, it was hard for me to know how to give comfort to the parents, so all I did was hug them and hold them and tell them I was praying. You can not say, “at least he is not hurting anymore” or “he sure lived a long life…”

Okay…..for future reference….all of you “more experienced pastor’s wives”….PLEASE give me some advice on dealing with infant death. Thanks Bunches!!!

No comments: