Saturday, June 30, 2012

Discouragement and Grace

My dear sisters, I’m sure that many of you have had days when life seems to really get you down…perhaps today is one of those days. No matter how hard you try, you just can’t seem to triumph over the trials that are causing despair in your life.  At times stressful situations such as volatile relationships, struggles with finances, raising kids, job changes, ministry commitments, and various other issues seem to overwhelm all of us with despair and discouragement. 
In my quiet time this morning, the Lord opened my eyes (again!) to a familiar passage of Scripture that immediately brought comfort and peace to my soul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9    Wow!  I once again realized that His grace truly is amazing as the songwriter penned those many years ago.  Also, I once read in a devotional these words, “Grace is all that Christ is, made available to me”.  Isn’t that awesome! Our Lord can handle anything that we are going through, but we really do have to admit that we are weak and without power; any strength that we have comes totally from Him. Of course, grace is not something that we earn; it is what God chooses to give to us in spite of us! 
When I begin to recognize my inadequacy to handle life’s circumstances on my own, there is great joy that floods my soul knowing and believing that I have a Savior who conquered death, and He has the power to guide me through the tribulations that are inevitable.  Sometimes the Lord will give me what I call “surprises of His grace”, where I sense a special manifestation of His grace and presence in my life during the day. For example, I have had days when I have needed encouragement, and the Lord will have someone pray for me or He will show me a Scripture that immediately speaks to me heart.  He is so attentive to our needs!!
When God makes a promise, He is Faithful to keep it!  So when discouragement comes, HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT to see us through all life’s challenges!
Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”  2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comment:

Lana said...

Amen and amen. Thanks for these words of encouragement.