Monday, March 31, 2014

"Christian" Movies

Ladies, I don't know about you, but I love a good movie. My favorites are Jane Austin flicks like "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility." I also enjoy a good superhero flick with my sweetie.

Lately, it seems that the box office is flooded with Christian themed movies. There are titles like "Son of God," "God's Not Dead," and "Noah". There are previews for another film called "Heaven is For Real".

I don't know if you've seen any of these films, or know much about them. I've seen only "God's Not Dead" but I've heard quite a bit about the others. From what I understand, with the exception of "Noah," these films have been produced from a basically Biblical viewpoint. "Noah," on the other hand, was brought about by a self-described atheist and is only very loosely connected to the hero of the faith that we've studied in Genesis.

No doubt your minister husband has been asked his opinion on Hollywood's take on these themes. Maybe you've been asked what you think - as a minister's wife. Maybe you've seen one or two of them. Maybe you aren't seeing "Noah" based on principle and conviction.

My sweetie and I have had a few casual conversations about them. He has no desire to see the Noah film. I do. He doesn't want to support this atheist film maker. I want to be able to engage in conversation about the film intelligently. I want to chat with lost friends who see the film and then be able to show them the truth of the scriptures.

As for the movie I have seen, "God's Not Dead". I thought it was pretty cheesy. I tried to imagine what a non-believer might think about it. While there are redeeming qualities, it is not something I care to see again. The themes are great discussion starters for student ministries and beyond. The gospel is clearly presented and I am sure God is using it to bring Himself glory.

Regardless of where my man and I agree or how any of us feel about the quality of these films, they are a great tool for us to engage our culture. Whether on Face Book or in Starbucks, the existence of these films gives us an open door to talk about truth, to begin discussions about Jesus, and to be intentional to have a voice in what is being said and produced in Hollywood.

It isn't unusually to have a Biblical themed movie or television program about God this time of year. Our culture is still curious about what happened at the tomb that day. Let's tell them!


No comments: