Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Lines Are Beautiful

“The lines have fallen to me in beautiful places; indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.” Psalm 16:6

As I was having my quiet time with the Lord the other day, a verse that had touched my heart a while ago came to my mind; it is the verse above. It sounds very poetic, and it is most certainly very encouraging.

What lines? What beautiful places? What heritage? It may seem hard to understand what David the psalmist was referring to, but to me, it means to focus on the blessings of God, and not the burdens of life.

What brought this verse to mind the other day was the fact that I am experiencing a very difficult situation with an individual. Heart-broken and discouraged over the demeanor and attitude of this person, I had become negative in my spirit. Then, just at the right time, the Lord steps in and speaks to my heart with this verse. I began to ponder: This is just one unpleasant situation, yet what about all the other wonderful and positive things that the Lord has brought in to my life? God blesses time after time after time in many ways. Also, regarding the situation with this person, the Lord reminded me that He can change a person’s heart. God can deliver anyone from strongholds....God can do anything!

What about you? Doesn’t all the good in your life outweigh the bad? When you reflect on the blessings of Christ, don’t the negative things pale in comparison? The apostle Paul says “….our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” 2 Corinthians 4:17

God has been good to all of us. As ministers’ wives we will always encounter difficult people in the churches where we serve, in our families, in our neighborhoods, and various other places. I have to remind myself that no one is perfect....I certainly am not, and will not see perfection this side of heaven! When we see imperfection in ourselves and others, remember the Lord can change hearts, and He gives us so many blessings. And the next time we all want to complain, let us reflect on the wonderful words of David, and realize where the lines have fallen and what type of heritage we have in Jesus!

No comments: