Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Still Winter!?

It is snowing right now!  It is March 25 and it is snowing!!  Not just a few, sparse flakes….but a downpour of white stuff!!  I have heard so many times recently words spoken like, “I am so tired of winter!”  “Will spring ever come?”  “This has been the longest winter ever!”

Call me crazy…..but I rather like winter!  What in the world?  What did I just say?  Did I say, “I like winter”?  Yes, I know!  There is something terribly wrong with me!!

Here is the reason I don’t mind winter…..because I KNOW it is only temporary!!  Spring WILL come.  Summer WILL follow.  Winter will NOT last forever!!  It is a promise!!  Genesis 8:22 “As long as the earth remains, there will be planting and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night.”

There are things I can do in winter that I cannot do in summer!  I can curl up in a cozy blanket after dinner and not feel guilty about not working in the yard weeding or mowing or something that requires work and sweat.  I can wear sweaters that covers up, so to speak, a multitude of sins (if you know what I mean!).  I can drink a hot cup of coffee with peppermint mocha creamer to warm up…in fact, I can have two!

I am OK with winter because I KNOW it won’t last!  I KNOW the cold and snow and dreariness will one day be replaced with warmth and flowers and sunshine…then I will be able to do things I cannot do during winter.

Here’s the thing….will those who complain during winter….wishing it were over….be the same ones who will complain about how hot it is this summer?

My desire is that I will not only be content in whatever season the earth is in….that I will be content in whatever season my life is in.  Many of us are in the winter season of our lives….and I don’t mean in reference to our ages….I mean we are going through some cold, hard, dark days.  We are hurting from the bitter, cold words or actions of others.  Or maybe we are covered under piles of responsibilities or burdens like a snow covered driveway that needs to be shoveled just to get our car out of the garage....but we don't have the strength or desire to even leave the house.
 
Be encouraged my friend!!  Winter will NOT last forever!!  Spring and summer will come!  Growth and life and light will be a part of your days....maybe they will come while we are living on this earth...maybe not until we see Him face to face in the eternal heaven.  Look and see the Lord in this winter season of life you are in right now and be encouraged!  Luke 21:30 "When the leaves come out, you know without being told that summer is near."

No comments: