Monday, March 17, 2014

Spiritually Spanked

When I was a child, I felt like I was constantly being disciplined by my parents.  I would forget to clean my room, smart mouth my mom, or just plain ignore my parents when they were talking to me.  Oh brother, did I get in trouble!  I think I was spanked or grounded everyday of my childhood.

As a minister's wife I still get disciplined.  I do not get spanked for not cleaning the house or coming in late.  I do not get spanked for over-indulging in chocolate or buying a new outfit when what I have in the closet is just fine.  Since one my parents is very ill and the other resides with Jesus, I do not receive my punishment from them.  Instead, I often get disciplined by The Father in Heaven.  Maybe often is not the correct word.  Let's just say that I receive a good "spiritual spanking" on a daily basis from My Father.

Many times I get rebuked because I avoid someone at church that rubs me the wrong way.  Ok sisters, I know you do the same thing.  Some people at church can just be overbearing, belittling, and critical.  I just do not like being around those people.  When I do turn and go a different direction at church to avoid the person, God scolds me immediately.  Ouch!  He quickly reminds me that person is His child too and deserves to be loved. 

I also get reprimanded when I am rude to a stranger.  Ok, none of us like telemarketing phone calls.  They are annoying and also seem to come when we sit down for a meal.  I try to be kind and tell the person on the line that it is not a good time but they are so persistent.  They keep talking and I usually just hang up on the.  God speaks to me firmly again that the person on the other end of the call is just doing their job.  Ouch!

Even as a minister's wife, I am really slow to learn lessons and God continually has to spiritually spank me on a daily basis.  However, just like I can look back and see that my parent's discipline came because they loved me, I am truly thankful for a Heavenly Father who loves me enough to correct His wayward daughter.

"My son, do not take the Lord's discipline lightly, or faint when you are reproved by Him; for the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and punishes every son whom He receives."  Hebrews 12:5-6

No comments: