Monday, August 25, 2014

Stepping Out of Your Box

If you knew me personally, you would know that I am a people person....one-on-one type person.  I AM NOT a stand up in front of a large group type of person.

I feel like I have spent most of our 35 years of ministry trying to find my passions and comfort zones...................just to discover that that is not always the place to be.

I read a devotion a few months ago about stepping out of the boat and until we do that....we will not receive the special blessings that God has for us. 

 After reading that....I thought, I want ALL of the blessings that are designated for me.  (At the time, I was thinking, just how hard would it be to step out of the boat......What was I thinking?)

Anyway.....without boring you to death, shortly after that I was asked to lead a large ladies group session which will be held almost a year from that time and was given a topic.  Whewww......I was afraid to say no because I could not get that devotion out of my mind....stepping out of the boat.

While in the garden this summer, I was thinking about the ladies' session I had been asked to lead .....God and I were having a heart to heart talk and I just mentioned to Him that if he truly wanted me to step out of the boat and speak to a group......couldn't I have at least pick my own subject?

Be careful what you ask for...................a few days later, I was asked to lead another ladies' session which was in just a few weeks......and I had the freedom to speak or do whatever I choseRUT ROW.  My comfortable little box was busting open.

The second group was a much smaller group of wives, but still much larger than I am comfortable with, so.......there is NO WAY KATHY could have done it.......God took over and worked through me and I made it through the 2 hour session without passing out or throwing up and no one even walked out on me.

The pastor's wives were so very considerate and nice to me and made me feel very comfortable.  In spite of my fears, I actually enjoyed the time with the ladies.  I am pretty sure that God planned that entire session just for me because most of the things I talked about were directly to me.  My devotion was "Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone".  And, God chose the wives that attended......because they were definitely "special", "caring" and "loving".......and did not even throw rotten apples at me.

It was absolutely nothing I did, but God worked through me and the wives shared and opened up in ways that I never even hoped for.  I left the session  feeling VERY BLESSED to have been a part of that group.

I say all of this to say................be careful what you ask for................you just might get it.  Smile.  
BUT.....if HE leads you to step out, you won't be alone.

Philippians 4:13  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. has always been one of my favorite verses......it is now even more dear to my heart.

No comments: