Friday, May 6, 2016

Let's Eat!

I don't miss too many meals.

I might like to "blame" low blood sugar, but if I am totally honest, most of the time I am ready to eat.

I like to eat.

I like to anticipate what I will get to eat -whether it is a holiday, a night at a favorite restaurant, or even a family meal gathered around the table at home.

Italian, Mexican, Asian - the type of cuisine is really inconsequential. I can easily be in the mood for anything. But right now, I would have to say that my go-to food is the potato. French fried, baked, mashed, shredded into hash browns, or tater tots, it does not matter.

Cravings? I like salsa and chips, but I LOVE candy. Like Vickie, I love me some chocolate, the darker the better- but I also really go for anything SOUR . . .

My body is pretty good at making sure I eat. Dieting is not something that has ever come easy to me and, as I enter my 40s this summer, I know I should take it a little more seriously.

I have a confession to make.

It isn't about food, but it is all about self-discipline and what I take in . . .

Over the three weeks or so,  I have not been feasting on God's word like I should. I slowly pushed away from the table and have not even been nibbling on the Bread of Life. At first it wasn't a big deal. I had plenty of truth stored away for a rainy day to keep me going and, as a result, I really didn't notice much of a difference. I went on teaching my Sunday School class, leading the weekday preschool, and being able say all the right things that people needed to hear.

However, the lack of spiritual truth to gnaw on slowly took its toll. I found myself missing the joy and feeling the discouragement. I tried to pass the blame onto my husband and daughters for my discontentment and resentment. I couldn't even begin to put my finger on what had happened to leave me feeling so inadequate and frustrated with myself.

Then this week, through the revival at church, and the prayers of my husband, once I finally was honest enough to tell him something was going on, the Holy Spirit, gently said, "Come back. Read my word. Spend time with me. Really pray."

At first, I wanted to make excuses. I wanted to pass the blame and say I was too busy or that this season of the year is too busy.....

But, I make time to do what I want to do. I make time to do what is important. I make time to do the things that NEED to be done.

Somehow, I had lost my desire to spend time in God's word. My actions proved that I was making other things more important. I no longer looked at my Bible study and prayer time as something that NEEDED to be done.

I want to hunger and thirst for righteousness the way I look forward to eating a juicy, medium-rare, ribeye with a loaded, baked potato and side salad with ranch dressing.

I want to have the attitude that says I "get" to spend time in the word instead of I "have" to.

And even on the days I don't "feel" like it, knowing I need to, that I still do it anyway, like when you make yourself open and fix that can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup when you've got a cold and don't feel like eating. You know you need it, so you do it anyway.  

No, I don't miss many meals and I look for reasons to snack all-day-long. But my prayer tonight is that I would approach my time with my God the same way.

Just as my physical body wants and needs nourishment and sustenance and, let's be honest, sugary sweets - I want my spirit to crave and devour the meat of the Word in the same way. I need a steady diet of Bible study and prayer and praise, not only or just to be a good mom, a \loving wife and supportive ministry partner. I need it to a healthy believer.

I've done more than taste. I know that He is beyond good. I just need to be intentional to continually partake.

Thank you Lord for forgiveness. Thank you for new mercies everyday. Thank you for creating such yummy foods- literally and spiritually.

No comments: