Thursday, May 26, 2016

What Would Life Be Like?



Hang on girlfriends!  We are going to the beach to escape ministry life.  I’ll be by to pick up anyone who is interested in joining me.  We are going to ditch our troubles and sink our toes into the warm, white sands.  We are going to let the breeze blow away the stress of life and allow the waves to sing to our souls.  Don’t forget your sunscreen.  Oh and don’t forget to toss in a bag of chocolate, because when girlfriends get together, calories don’t count.

Ok, so maybe we aren’t heading to the beach but I really wish we could.  I don’t know about you but it seems ministering to people is just getting harder every day.  It seems our husbands spend more time doing administration than they do preparing for sermons.  I also have found myself pulled in every direction possible. 

For the last two weekends, I have been at the church Friday, Saturday and Sunday preparing for and attending events plus attending meetings.  The first weekend our women’s ministry team, which I am part of, hosted a salad lunch for our ladies.  We had close to 200 women attend.  It was great but it was a lot of work and preparation for our team.  Then, last weekend the team hosted a reception following the memorial service for our pianist who had served faithfully for many years.  Our church wanted to show its appreciation for her life and service.  After church on Sunday evening, I collapsed into bed exhausted and told my husband that I resign from ministry.

Well, we all know we can’t just resign unless God leads in that direction.  I do wonder at times what life would be like.  Would life be slower and calmer?  Would we travel?  Would we be bored sitting at home not doing ministry?  Seriously, what would our lives be like if we weren’t following God’s call on our lives?

I guess for now I will just dream of sitting in my beach chair on some gorgeous island.  I will dream of no phone calls in the middle of the night, no meetings that last all Sunday afternoon, and no big events that take up my time on the weekends.  I can dream of spending some quiet, unrushed time talking to the Lord.  However, I can tell you this.  After a few days of R & R, I am ready to be back doing what God has called us to do-loving the lost and leading them to the Savior.




No comments: