Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Everyday Miracles 2

I am so thankful that God answers prayer. You know, that in itself, is another "everyday miracle" that I take for granted. I mean I start each day with prayer and expect God to answer and He faithfully does. Not that He always answers the way I want Him to, but more often than not, and usually sooner rather than later, He -Creator of the Universe- answers my prayers. And take it from me, I am not anyone who would begin to deserve such a high honor. 

Let me tell you about what brought this train if thought to the forefront of my mind:

As a mentioned yesterday, my daughter, Riley, is beginning kindergarten this fall. For months now I have been praying that God would prepare me and her teacher for the start of her public school education. I have asked God that her teacher would be exactly what Riley needed and somebody that I could trust with my "baby".

So, after an open house for all new kindergartners, an introductory first day meeting and one full day of screenings I was called Saturday morning by the dear lady who would be "blessed" with my talkative, inquisitive, excitable, little girl everyday. She wasn't the teacher I thought I wanted Riley to have. She wasn't the one that all my girlfriends at the school had said was "the best." She wasn't the teacher I had met and envisioned Riley learning how to read from. 

As a result, I found myself doubting and forgetting all those prayers I had prayed for this woman. I started scheming and planning about what I could do to put Riley into the classroom that I wanted her in. I began wondering and worrying about what this could mean for Riley's entire academic future . . . 

So with the encouragement of a good girlfriend and the gentle reminder from my husband about God's sovereignty, I again prayed. This time though I prayed for myself. I prayed that God would confirm for me that He had Riley in His hands. 

With a nervous tickle in my gut I walked into Mrs. Tucker's classroom yesterday for her meeting with her class's parents. I introduced myself to the lady standing behind the desk and sat down in a-much-too-small chair with Riley's name on it. As she went through her classroom policies and procedures I took notes and took in the bright cheery space my daughter would be spending the bulk of her time over the next 10 months.

Then she said it. Mrs. Tucker spoke the exact words God knew I needed to hear. She explained that she was a woman of faith and that she believed that God had placed each of her students in her classroom for the coming school year. She said she had prayed over each name and felt that there were very specific reasons each pupil would be under her care. 

God was so good to answer my prayers for Riley's teacher. He was so good to answer my prayers for confirmation, in spite of my own doubts. The Creator God of the universe is intimately involved with my mundane, ordinary, everyday life. If that isn't an "everyday miracle" I sure don't know what is.  

What is an example of how God answers your prayers?

No comments: