Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Ground Rules

I do training for businesses and industries in areas such as leadership, coaching, managing for success, customer service, etc. and one of the very first things I do with them is to go over the ground rules for the training sessions. It lets them know what I expect out of them and what they can expect from me.

As a minister's wife and/or mother, do you have "ground rules"? By that I mean, are there certain things that you always do or always don't do? For example, below are just a few of mine:



  1. Normally I don't host "at home" business parties like Tupperware, etc. I go to them, I just don't host them. I am too afraid that I will hurt some one's feelings if I have one person's event and not anothers'.

  2. I will help with wedding and baby showers (or often called teas/coffees depending on the part of the country you live) but usually do not have my name put on the invitation. Again, I don't want to hurt someone or leave anyone out and I cannot be a hostess for them all.

  3. In business meetings I keep my mouth shut. If fact, I have to confess that I had stopped going to business meetings because it was so hurtful to see some people so self-centered at times. When I don't go, I pray at home for God to move and work.....business meetings have changed!!

  4. I don't ask my husband the names of people who said or did "mean" things.

  5. Our children were not allowed to have friends at home if Ernie or I were not here....and they were not allowed to be at any one's house whose parents were not at home.

God has given us lots of ground rules.....and the one that I want to cling to today is found in Proverbs 3:5. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will direct your path." NLT

Oh, Father, I ask that You would so pour out Your power on each one reading this....we are not capable in our own strength to even begin to trust You....we are weak and fearful and powerless. YET, we KNOW that Your power is perfected in our weakness and so Lord give us the ability to trust You.....In Jesus' name.....amen.

No comments: