Friday, August 1, 2008

Satan's Traps

"Protect me, and keep me from falling into Satan's traps."
I Chronicles 4:10

This is the last part of the study of the prayer of Jabez.

The last portion of this prayer is vital to our victory in Christ as we go through our daily lives. I am going to use many of the quotes from the study book, as I cannot express it any better.

"The onslaught of temptation seems to bombard us when we are being used by God for impact in our world." I know as a wife of a minister, you have felt the attacks of Satan on your life, your husband, marriage, children, finances, health, church and more. We are most vulnerable to Satan's attacks when we are serving God.

As Jabez prayed this prayer, he recognized that attacks would come and time spent with God is the key to overcoming the temptations and traps. "God can use our praying to illuminate us, to shed light on those traps that could ensnare us. Sometimes the traps are not necessarily bad things, but they are things that divert and distract our attention from impacting our mission for God."

"Satan does not fight fair. He is dedicated to destroying a life that is passionately committed to Jesus Christ. He knows when and where to attack you. Although he cannot read your mind, he studies you and knows the time and the place to tempt and attack."

As I was studying this last chapter in the book , my husband walked in the room. He told me a couple things that were going on and walked out of the room. SNAP! The trap slammed shut and I was caught! It was not anything big or life altering, just enough to distract me from my study. Distracting me from the work of God is always Satan's plan. It was just enough to make me lay down the book and my Bible and begin to worry.

When I stood up and began to walk away, I remembered a verse from my study that day. I Corinthians 10:12-13 "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

I stopped, turned around and picked up my Sword (God's Word). I began to read, pray and ask God to focus me on Him not circumstances. I put my Helmet of Salvation firmly in place and asked Him to protect my thoughts. The best part is ... He did it! God answered, opened the trap and let me out. The circumstances did not change, but my focus changed. My faith strengthened and God's truth comforted.

I hope this reminder of a simple prayer has been helpful to you this week. It is a reminder of the power of God's word, the love in God's heart and our mission in God's world. Stand strong, dear sisters! We have already won the victory in our Lord Jesus Christ!

No comments: