Monday, August 25, 2008

Leaving My Comfort Zone

I have been a struggle with God on an of issue. I can honestly tell you that I wish I could have picked up the phone and call all of you for your advice. Last week was full of me arguing with God and telling what I thought needed to happen on this issue. If you have not ever argued with God, well girlfriends, let's just say I hope you never have to experience it.



Here's how it started. I was asked to take on a part in our Christmas program. Now, I am very honored to be asked but I would much rather have a root canal than speak in public. I am terrified of standing in front of crowds. I forget what I want to say or sing unless I have the words in front of me. My stomach is in knots. I sweat like a farmer hand in the July heat. I think you get the picture. Anyway, God knows all the issues I have about leaving the comfort of my third roll chair in the choir loft.



However, I promised the director to look over the part and pray about it. It really is a cute part and some of the lines said are exactly what I would say to my family. The music is great too. Still I kept repeating, "No God, I just can't do this." Then in the same breath I would ask God to give me a direct yes or no answer. Maybe it is wrong to do that but I certainly wanted to be in His plan. Since I had to give an answer by Sunday, I also asked several people to pray for me.



As I argued like Moses before he followed God's leadership, God patiently kept placing words before me. I kept hearing over and over things like "don't fear," "God can do it," "he is sufficient in our weakness." My Bible study lesson for the week was even about knowing God's plan. (I personally think God has a sense of humor.)



Long story short I cried as I told the director yesterday that I would take on the part. I begged her to please prayer for me and to help me. I still cannot believe I am going to leave my comfort zone of the choir loft third roll to be in front of people. The thought already makes my stomach churn and it is four months until we do the performances. The one thing I know about this assignment is that I can do nothing without God's help. He will be the one who must speak and sing this part not me.

Maybe you have never argued with God and had this type of struggle in your life. Maybe God has never asked you to leave your comfort zone. However, maybe God has directed your life in a different way than you planned. If so would you be willing to pray for me over the next several months? Would you be willing to send along scriptures that you have claimed when God has moved you out of your comfort zone? Who knows maybe another member of our unique sisterhood is in a struggle too. Your words might just be what she needs to hear.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Vickie,
I've heard you speak and you blessed me and I know you did others. Even though you feel uncomfortable in that role, I believe God is pulling you out of your comfort zone for His purpose. He has done the same with me and I would venture to say that He has almost all of us. Two scriptures have really helped me; Psalm 46:10: Be Still and Know that I am God... and the other one a dear friend called me at 6:45 AM one morning as we were both on our way to work and when I answered the phone, she recited Romans 15:13 to me and God has used that in my life many times since that day.
Know that I will be praying for you and have all confidence that you will be a "hit" for the Lord in this program!!