Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Be You and Love It!





Thirty five years ago this month I walked down the aisle and married the man of my dreams!! I had no idea what I was getting in to….all I knew was that I loved this Godly, silly man and wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I wish I had a picture from that day to show you....they are all boxed up waiting for us to sell our house and move our stuff....so instead I am putting this silly picture Lana Rose took at the Secretaries Conference!!

Certainly I did not know he would one day be a pastor….which would mean one day I would be a pastor’s wife!! If that were the case…..I am pretty I would have had to think twice about marrying him!!! You see, I did not know any pastor’s wives at that time….I had never gone to church growing up and I did not know the wife of the pastor at the church I was going to. But what little I did know….I knew there would be NO way I’d ever be a pastor’s wife!! Never!
Ernie told me about five or six years into our marriage that he thought God was calling him to pastor….which would make me a pastor's wife!! I had major conversations with God telling Him He could NOT let this happen!!! By that time I actually knew two pastor’s wives….but I was nothing like either one of them!! Nothing! There was NO way I could be them!

I will never forget how God sweetly came to me and said, “Dana, I am not asking you to be like them….I am asking you to be you!” Oh, how freeing that was!! All God was asking me to be is me???

I don’t know if you are struggling with the “role” of being the pastor’s wife….or if you are fulfilling a dream you have had ever since you were a little girl, but let me tell you my friend….all God is asking is that you be you!! Not be like the other staff wives or other pastor's wives you know. Be you and love it!!

1 comment:

Lana said...

Silly picture?!! I think it is a great pic of you and Ernie. You should frame it and put on Ernie's desk--that is, if there is room !