Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bride Bared By Breeze

I have been reflecting not only on the past 35 years of our marriage, but also of the wedding and the festivities around it. My beautiful wedding dress appeared on the cover of Bride Magazine that summer of 1975 and I purchased it at a well renowned store in Dallas who offered the service of storing the dress and delivering it to both the bridal portrait session and the wedding so we did not have to worry about where to hang it, cart it around, etc. Bad idea!!

The Dallas Morning News’ article was entitled, “Bride Bared by Breeze”. This highly reputable store accidently delivered my size 4 (yes, I used to be little) wedding dress to the wedding location of a size 12 bride instead of to where I was to get my wedding portrait done!!!

The article went on to say that the mistake was discovered too late for the bride to do anything but to wear the dress. She was able to get it on….but she was not able to zip it up. No worries though because her veil covered up what the dress did not. That is….until….as she walked down the aisle, the Dallas summer weather stirred up a breeze which “bared” the bride!

It is hard for me to imagine how that bride must have felt, but….you know….if you and I are not careful, we will try to fit into someone else’s mold or expectations or even someone we want to be…and it just does not fit!! You know scripture teaches that we have been created by the Potter for His purposes…why in the world do we want to squeeze into something that never was intended to fit us? Stop doing or being what you know God did not design you to do or be!!

2 comments:

Lana said...

So, did you get a new dress or have to wear the "used" it?

Lana said...

oops, I said "it" meant to say "one"